|THE ALUMNI COUNCIL
• A group of 55 alumni leaders who reflect the diversity of the alumni body and its opinions, spanning graduate eras and geographic regions. Read more about the Council structure.
• Elected in recognition of exemplary volunteerism, devotion and consistent financial support to Colgate University. Find out more about the nominations and elections process.
• Charged with leading Colgate University’s alumni association, formally known as the Alumni Corporation.
• This Council is separate from Colgate University’s Board of Trustees, which is entrusted with overseeing the governance of the University.
• Six members of the Alumni Council also serve as Alumni Trustees on the Board of Trustees to provide Council perspective and facilitate communication between the two groups.
The mission of the Alumni Council is to:
• Support the University and its strategic plan, helping to advance and secure Colgate’s position as a leading liberal arts university, while preserving Colgate’s core values and traditions. Check out our Alumni Council In The News page.
• Promote dialogue among alumni, students, faculty, administration and the Board of Trustees, on issues of importance to the welfare of the University
• Actively support programs, on and off campus, to increase alumni engagement in the life of the University. Learn more about Council sponsored programs and activities.
Building on a recently completed strategic planning process, the Alumni Council will focus this year on:
• Expanding communications with alumni
• Connecting more effectively with volunteers
• Implementing strategic initiatives in collaboration with University programs
• Developing an assessment tool to evaluate the Council’s impact
Read the most recent Council minutes and meeting summaries.
Learn how you can get involved at Colgate!
Call for Nominations
The nominations committee of the
Alumni Council seeks recommendations for additional candidates to be
considered this fall, and to start with the 2012/2013 school year.
Each year, 11 to 13 new members are selected to represent specific eras
and geographic areas as well as at-large positions. Ideal candidates
exhibit several of the following qualities:
• Varied Colgate volunteer service, especially in leadership roles
• A demonstrated commitment to Colgate over time
• Meaningful personal or professional accomplishments or contributions to the greater community
• Readiness and willingness to become more involved on behalf of the university
• A consistent history of giving financial support to Colgate
If you know someone who demonstrates these qualities, or if you would like to self nominate, please mail or email your nominations by Sept. 1, 2012, to: Tim Mansfield, Executive
Secretary, Colgate University, 13 Oak Dr., Hamilton, NY 13346. Please
include a supporting statement for each person you nominate.
" I definitely chose the right school. I could talk for hours about what Colgate alumni have done for me, even those outside the Real World, and I would still never do their actions justice."
Diane Kahng '09
"I never realized how friendly and willing to help the alumni really are until the Real World weekend.... Hearing from alumni about their diverse and successful career paths (and possibly winding roads to get there), I was comforted about making my next steps, and gained enthusiasm to really get moving on my job search."
Katrina Jensen '09
"I had a great experience with the alums from Alumni Council at Real World. It was inspiring to hear people in areas of interest tell their story of how they got to where they are."
Jamil Jude '09